Thursday, August 18, 2005

One Patient's Comparison

I have been a patient at both hospitals and here is a synopsis of my experiences for the uninitiated.

Item 1: At DMH a $300 bill that was not covered was incurred, I paid half upon receipt of a bill. DMH then sent it to collections without contacting me again, other than the collections notice. I have been told by many that this is standard practice for DMH accounting.

I have had several bills as large or larger at St. Mary's, not covered by insurance, and they have been quite cooperative and communicative. I also know that St. Mary's treats anyone who walks in the door in need of medical attention, regardless of ability to pay.

Item #2: Upon arriving at the St. Mary's ER for treatment of one of my children, I felt as if the red carpet had been rolled out. We were shown to an exam room, and a staff member came to take our information AFTER the Dr. had already performed a cursory exam and ordered bloodwork and a CAT scan.

Upon numerous visits as a same day surgery patient or ER patient at DMH, I have been consistently treated like a number. Attending staff have brushed aside my attempts to discuss any issues regarding my being there, unless I happen to be answering direct questions. I even had to cancel an appt. to have an MRI of one shoulder done, because it was supposed to have been for both shoulders, and the Dr. had not faxed the order over indicating both. This is something that would have then required 2 separate visits, and multiple unnecessary charges to both myeslf, and my insurance carrier.

I was taught that effective medicine requires an constant interaction and communication between the patient and the provider. I guess when profit is the motive, the Hippocratic is replaced by the Hypocrisy.

That explains how one can build huge mansions on property obtained for pennies from hospital foundations. Oops, was I supposed to say that out loud, or was it a secret only the FBI knew about?

0 Comments:

<< Home